Sunday 21 June 2015

Pelham area Birmingham Alabama

After a good night sleep I  travelled a few miles up the interstate to meet  the author of a very important book on clocks. I had been invited to meet him and talk clocks.

We had a very good discussion he showed me a Asa Munger clock which was similar to the one  I had seen in another collection, we discussed the  clock and why it was so different to others made at the same time.

There is now very little doubt in my mind that there were some  pretty important influences on early American clockmakers some from  the 'British'  clock makers but  some also from 'German' ones. I am hoping that I can uncover some of  these links.

I am also tending to the opinion that a lot of clockmakers in small communities chose  apprentices from their own religious affiliations,  as often the apprentice may well marry the clockmakers daughter, and few of the religions condoned 'marrying out' but again this is just a theory.  The theory is  supported by the practice of the Quaker clockmakers of North Oxfordshire  in the UK.

There was a much greater free flow and exchange of information between clockmakers,    how? we do not know,   but I am sure that there was.



My clockmaker friend kindly gave me a book on the identification of wood wheeled clocks which was a handsome gift.

I was invited to stay for lunch, which I did and was treated to a good southern barbecue.



I have   today read  most of  'The Shop Records of Daniel Burnap'. I bought this book at the NAWCC national for an exorbitant sum.  It throws some very interesting light on early  american clockmaking although DB was making brass clock and not wood ones, he might have had a hand in  training Eli Terry who certainly did make wood wheeled clocks.

I spent the later afternoon catching up on emails.

Tomorrow  driving to Atlanta airport and then flying to New Orleans.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment