Friday 19 June 2015

Day 1 NAWCC Chattanooga


A good nights sleep and a pleasant electric  shuttle bus ride to the convention centre in time to meet up with Peter,  Phillip and friends  and  get a cup of coffee from a diner

I spent a fair time looking at the display of railway related clocks and watches  the display was excellent.

The craft fairway also excellent there were some stunning entries I was really impressed   with a lyre experimental clock, I have arranged to meet wight eh maker and I hope I can write up the clock for the HJ.
There was also a phenomenal display of cutters used in a table saw to make mouldings I did have a chase to talk with the maker.

I then spent three hours  touring the mart. The mart is a pretty big affair with plenty of clocks and clock parts for sale. Sadly there were on a very few wooden clock movements  for sale but I did manage to make a small purchase of one which is a movement out of a shelf clock. I also managed to buy a couple of books. Every one I have spoken with have been kind and helpful I have been mistaken for being Australian  which is a bit surprising, do I really sound  Australian?

I attended a very interesting Cog Counters meeting where we had a lecture with slide presentation on the making of clock cases with  exotic woods  the presentation was very impressive.

Evening meal in the Hotel restaurant follows  I had fish and chips, which is nothing like the fish and chips we have at home, but not bad never the less. Some of our party had desert of carrot cake. The portion was more than a slab it was a mega slab, as the person who was eating it is a medical doctor I presumed it must be  health food having all those carrots.... I did not indulge.

The rest of the evening was spent in a convivial manner, discussing clocks,  clocks makers and putting with world to rights.

Back at the hotel via the free  electric shuttle at approx. 11.30  a very good day

No comments:

Post a Comment