Wednesday 17 June 2015

Bristol VA to Chattanooga TN

Only 230 miles to day so quite a relaxed drive down. The Econo Hotel at Bristol was 'interesting' I will leave it at that.

On the drive down , it is still quite unnerving to be passed by a huge truck (with sharp pointy studs on the front wheel nuts) at  well over 80mph going up hill , and pulling away at that.  Seen quite a few good bumper stickers one on the back of a truck loaded with dirt and spoil 'keep 300 feet back I am not responsible for your broken windscreen' paraphrased.

I also passed the turning advertising  'Dolly world' sadly I did not have enough time visit.. this time.

I got to the hotel at about 12.45 and had to wait before my room was ready this gave me the chance for a brief stroll, but it was really too hot for more than a very brief meander before I returned to the hotel and did a bit of work on the computer in the lobby which was air conditioned.

I registered at the convention ( travelling to the convention centre by free electric bus) and attended the presidents reception  The concerns raised at the Presidents reception mirror the same concerns that we have in the UK falling membership and  a problem in attracting new members. Education was seen as a way forward and I am sure that this is where the BHI should be able to find a niche with the distance learning programme.  

I also attended the key note talk.

This was a talk about railways and time, very interesting. In the abstract we all know that the coming of national time was as a result of the requirement for railways to have a set time, obvious.

However the speaker who has worked on railways since 1970  rising to be the top chap at southern and northern railways,  made the very good point that  the watches held by each rail way workers also needed to be set at the same time,  trains needed to pass each other at a set times,  maintenance work needed to be carried out when trains were not expected to use the line,  watches held by workers needed then to be both accurate  and synchronised.

I met at the key note talk and english chap who lives in Newbury, sitting next to him by chance.

I then met Peter Nunes and some of his friends  at a diner.


No comments:

Post a Comment