Saturday 13 June 2015

Newport to Peace Dale

I had arranged to meet with Peter Nunes who is a researcher and collector of wooden wheeled clocks and also a repairer of tower or public clocks and old american clocks. This was the first time that I had driven on my own and I was a bit apprehensive but the sat nav or what is over here called  the GPS got me there with only a couple of mistakes, these  where were my fault not the  fault of the rather stern lady who shouts instructions at me.

Peter is a great chap and was very happy to share  his knowledge with me. It was super going into a workshop where on the shelves were dozens of examples of wood clocks.  Coming from the environment were we have very few examples ,  to see loads and some in various stages of  disassembly was a real treat. It meant I could examine some of the gears with my eye glass and marvel at the crispness of the gear cutting and the craftsman ship.

The day went too fast I was shown example after example, the workman ship on these clocks is superb the  wood is of very good quality, the plates are usually oak about 1/4 to 3/8 thick the large gears were cherry and the  pinions were american laurel which is like a Rhodenderon there are some examples of Maple being used  and some other more exotic woods. I think the clock makers who made individual clocks used what ever they could find. The dials were american pine and the  dial strengthening strips were dovetailed into the dial this was very interesting . there was also very little evidence of worm damage in any of the examples of the clocks I saw.

One of the most interesting clocks for me was one made by Asa Munger which was so like a black forest clock that I am convinced  more  and more of the links between the clock makes in Europe and in America is far greater than had been allowed.

Peter showed me a couple of the techniques he uses when restoring the clocks removing the incorrect brass bushes and inserting oak inserts  setting them out with a centre finder, we also discussed cleaning and  polishing of clocks and the  general consideration of conservation.  Peter also gave me the names of people who he suggested I should talk to while in the USA.

Peter took me to his  traditional house to see some other clocks and I saw a beautiful modern ( 1960) wood clock which I was very taken with.  This also helps me with my interest in modern wood cocks

Back home to Newport   and a picnic  tea which was great with a clue of beers and sitting next to the river perfect well the positioning of the hose was perfect the noise from the bridge works was not.


No comments:

Post a Comment