Sunday 14 June 2015

Meeting in Cheshire

I had a very good meeting in Cheshire with Tom Grimshaw who spent the whole day kindly answering my questions and  showing me his collection of very interesting wooden clocks and their cases.

We spent a long time talking about the production chronology and this has helped me to get  some of my ideas in a logical time line. We talked about what has been described as an erroneous  assertion that the whole of the american clock industry owed its roots to the german clock industry. This assertion    is likely not correct.  The american clock  industry  is many parented,  certainly there may have been an influence from the German /black forest makers, and one that the second part of my  research might help me to unravel. But possibly more important is the influence of Scottish Irish Welsh and English clockmakers not to mention those from Holland and other countries, who all emigrated to the USA.

We had a long and enjoyable  discussion about  practical conservation Tom's suggestion of doing right by the makers is one that I can go along with. We discussed preservation and both sensible despair and restoration. I think I will have to include in my headings for thought the input from collectors who seem to form a far more important part of those interested in Wood clock movements. I also need to factor in he importance and influence of volunteers working along side conservators and the discussions that need to be had as well as the guide lines  that both need to be aware off.

It was a very good day  however I could not have got the benefit of it has I not spent valuable time with Peter Nunes last week.

A superb day, thank you  Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment