Friday 26 June 2015

Nashville day 1

I had the best nights sleep I have had for a long time last night. The Air B and B I am staying in at Nashville is beautiful but more importantly it has Air Conditioning.  I had always been rather sniffy about AC,  but sleeping in the hot and humid environment is nearly impossible especially if you are not used to it.

It was very hot, it is odd how often I mention the heat in these blogs but the heat is amazing I am just not used to it and seem to be melting. I walked into town which is perhaps about two miles and boy I was dripping when I reached the country music hall of fame and museum which being in Nashville I just had to visit. It was a good experience  I saw some superb memorabilia. I  did walk along the Broadway where every shop  every bar and even the side walks team with Country music it was great and I very much enjoyed it.

However my real intention was to visit the FRIST centre in Nashville to see and exhibition of post cards and work by the Wiener Werkstatte (the vienna workshops) formed about 1897   this is a fore runner of the Bauhaus movement and some of the artists  who were WW artist and designers may have  crossed to the Bauhaus  and most certainly  influenced  it, the WW movement  influenced  English and Scottish  designers  C  R Mackintosh and  others.   Some of the post card work is beautiful if very stark however other work is bright but very figurative.

I had a nice sandwich for lunch and then saw the exhibition, it was stunning and I very much enjoyed seeing the cards and some of the other work.

There was also an exhibition on Italian clothing design which was worth a look.

The FRST have a very interesting gallery designed for children to make and experience art work, it was well worth a visit to see what  hands on experiences could  be part of a museum provision.  

The walk home was exhausting and I had to stop for a gelato to keep the inner man cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment